Kuchta Participates in Middle School All-State Band

This year the Middle School All State Band was held in Pierre on March 4.  The main reason for the Middle School All State Band is to feature the most talented students in grades 6th-8th in South Dakota in a concert setting.

Mrs. Harstad, Director of bands 7-12, had one of her many talented students, 8th grader Kennedy Kuchta, earn a chair in Middle School All-State Band.

Kuchta plays the clarinet, and she has been playing the clarinet for four years. To prepare for the Middle School All State Band, she had two months of practicing.

Harstad stated, “I think its amazing how two hundred students can come together for a weekend, with very few hours of rehearsal and make wonderful music happen in less than what time it takes for us to get a concert prepared for here at school,” said Harstad. “They come together prepared, ready to learn, ready to listen, and they make new friend. It’s a great opportunity for any student to participate in.”

Kuchta had about eight hours of practicing with the entire All-State Band before performing. Harstad’s duty for the Middle School All-State Band was to direct Kuchta and work with her to insure she was ready for the big weekend. Harstad also is the co-chair for the event, so she was in charge of making sure everything went off without any issues.

Kuchta stated, “One thing I can take away from this opportunity and one thing I learned from this opportunity  is to have some fun.”

8th grade Kennedy Kuchta earned the honor of performing at Middle School All-State Band in Pierre the first weekend of March.