Geometry Projects Help to Enhance Learning

Becca Thom

Sophomore Cassie Hartman shows of her dilation project that she has been working on for the past week in geometry.

Sophomore Cassie Hartman shows off her dilation project that she has been working on for the past week in geometry.

The annual dilation projects in Mr. Reider’s class is off to a great start. These projects help the students to apply what they are learning in class to a project and to spend some time away from taking notes. The projects have been going on for a week. Sophomore Cassie Hartman describes the project: “We are taking a drawing and making it a larger image through dilation.” This connects to what they are learning in class, which is dilation and connecting points.

Although Hartman admits that it is an easy project, she also admits that she enjoys it. “I do think it’s a fun project.” Like many other students, she prefers projects over taking notes. When it comes to the projects, Hartman think they apply perfectly to what they are learning, “The dilations are basically the same thing as what we are learning about.” The projects give the students a break from notes and let them apply what they have been taught to enhance their learning.

The projects also allow for some creativity and personalization. The students got to pick the picture they dilate. Hartman’s choice for her dilation was inspired by her love for horses. “I did a horse logo of my barn.”  Hartman’s favorite math class so far is geometry and Reider is by far her favorite teacher, “Oh yeah for sure he is.”