New Year, New Members

Kiana Kuchta

National Honor Society is an organization based on character, leadership, scholarship, and service. Rebecca Pester, high school special education teacher, has been the NHS advisor for seven years.

To get into NHS, students must meet the requirements. Juniors who have had a minimum GPA of 3.0 for five semesters of high school and seniors who have had a minimum GPA of 3.0 for seven semesters are eligible for consideration. They were given forms to complete to help the selection committee in determining the new members. Along with these forms, the students need to provide a teacher recommendation letter, a recommendation from someone outside of the school, and a personal letter stating why they want to be in NHS and what they would contribute to the organization. Once the forms were turned in, a private teacher committee reviewed the applications. Each student gets a numerical value (1-5) in the areas of leadership, service, character, scholarship, and their completed paper from each committee member. The scores are then averaged. The entire group of student’s scores are placed in order based on their score. The committee then looks at just the numbers (there are no student names on this) and determines where a gap in the scores appears and determines who will be invited to join the National Honor Society. This is an elite group and not everyone that applies makes it in. Mrs. Pester along with the teacher selection committee have done their best to make it as fair as possible.

After all that is said and done, the students who have applied receive a letter in the mail letting them know if they made it in or not. This year Tri-Valley’s National Honor Society elected in 23 new members: Brooke Amundson, Briana Beaner, Aleah Burggraff, Dylan Burggraff, Caitlyn Cypher, Morgan Haga, Riley Hallman, Emily Hargraves, Elijah Heiberger, Abby Keith, Trevor Klinnert, Brooke Kulzer, Joan Leiferman, Jacob Leiseth, Austin Leuning, Holly Sando, Kaitlyn Schmeichel, Will Steineke, Keturah Swartwout, Madison Swier, Mason Wieman, Taylor Will, and Madisyn Van Hunnick.

NHS holds events for the school such as the penny war and angel tree. “Angel Tree is our most successful because it is local and helps the ones in need,” said Pester. Both the angel tree and the penny wars are successful for NHS to raise money and help those who need it. They also hold a carnival at the Crooks Community Center for the younger kids to enjoy some fun in the sun.

Taylor Will, a junior at Tri-Valley, was elected into NHS and was voted by the other NHS members to become the Treasurer. “I think it is a privilege to be a part of NHS, and it’s nice to be rewarded for all my hard work,” said Will. Will is looking forward to the banquet and fulfilling the duties of being treasurer.

If you see any of the new members in the hallway make sure you congratulate them. The newly elected NHS officers are as follows: Will Steinke is the president, Caitlyn Cypher is the vice president, Briana Beaner is the secretary, and Taylor Will is the treasurer.

Mrs. Pester the NHS advisor counting the money raised by the members for selling Krispy Kreme donuts as a fundraiser.