March to the Summit

Carter Hausmann

.

The Jackrabbits take the floor after their Summit League championship at the Premier Center

March is known as the month of basketball and this March Sioux Falls was host to the Summit League basketball tournament.

The Summit league consists of nine teams from South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Indiana, and Oklahoma. All nine teams, both women’s and men’s teams, took the court of the Denny Sanford Premier Center from March 5 through March 8.

The tournament rallied in a grand total of 65,533 people one of whom was Tri-Valley’s very own Mr. Van Moer. Mr.Van Moer, a 4-12 vocal teacher, attended all 14 games that were played at the Premiere Center. Mr. Van Moer is no stranger to the Summit League games, and this year was his second year of attendance.

Mr. Van Moer, a South Dakota State University alumni, was rooting for the Jackrabbits the whole weekend, and it turned out that both the Men and Women Jackrabbit teams will be heading to “the big dance” which is the NCAA tournament. When asked if he was happy with the way SDSU performed in the tournament Van Moer stated, “I was happy with how the women performed but the men gave me a heart attack on several occasions.” The Jackrabbit women defeated the USD Coyotes in the championship game by a score of 61-55, while the SDSU men beat NDSU by a score of 67-59.

As for the jackrabbit teams, they have an exciting road ahead of them. In the NCAA tournament the number 12 seed SDSU men will take on the number 5 seed Maryland Terrapins on March 18 in Spokane Washington. As for the Jackrabbit women, they will also be the 12 seed taking on a 5 seed that is Miami. This game will take place in Stanford, California on March 19. “I think they both have a good shot at winning but will have to play a perfect game to upset the number 5 seed” stated Mr. Van Moer.

Be sure to tune in to the NCAA tournament during the month of March to see just how crazy it gets.