Inside CDE for FFA

Jena Farr

Tri-Valley’s 18th annual Career Development Event or better known as CDE was held on Monday, March 21, 2016 at Tri-Valley High School. In simpler terms, CDE is a competition in an area of your choice where you judge, take a test over, and compete with a team. Forty-four schools participated in the CDE’s with a total of 1,157 students. Mrs. VanDerVliet, Ag teacher and FFA advisor, said, “This was the biggest year yet!” CDE started at 10:00am and finished around 3:00pm. 

There was a wide variety of CDE’s: Ag business, Ag mechanics, livestock judging, dairy cattle judging, horse judging, natural resources, vet science, dairy foods, floriculture, food science, meats judging, and nursery landscape. Some events allow students to compete as individuals while others allow them to complete in teams. The importance of CDE is that it introduces students to more knowledge and what is best for them. 

The Tri-Valley High School FFA chapter participated in various ways. Mrs. Sturm’s foods class helped provide and sell food to all the attending FFA members for lunch. CDE’s wouldn’t have been possible without the help of the Tri-Valley alumni and their efforts to put on contests and help score competitions. CDE’s have been hosted at Tri-Valley for many years and will continue being held there for many more. “CDE’s are such a huge part of FFA,” stated Kaitlyn Schmeichel, senior FFA vice president.

“Although I didn’t do as well as I wanted, Tri-Valley as a chapter and team prepared and did very well,” Schmeichel stated.

Schmeichel chose to compete in Dairy Cattle along with three other Tri-Valley FFA members. They went to a dairy farm, judged four classes, presented oral reasons, completed a written test, and judged sire selection and pedigree. She had prepared herself by watching videos, breaking down the components of judging, and looking at the rules of judging. She had also placed sample classes, looked at past tests, and researched pedigree. Schmeichel learned that sometimes things don’t always go your way and you never quit learning very helpful information. 

“Tri-Valley CDE’s always run so smoothly and is set up so well,” Schmeichel stated.
FFA students from many different school participated in the many activities for CDE's.

FFA students from many different school participated in the many activities for CDE’s.