State Student Council Advisor of the Year

Tri-Valley teacher, Mrs. Fluth, won Adviser of the year for her exceptional work with student council.

Tri-Valley teacher Mrs. Fluth won Adviser of the year for her exceptional work with student council.

Being a member of the Tri-Valley student council is a great way to improve school issues, stand up for student rights, and make new friends. Tri-Valley’s student council adviser, Mrs. Amber Fluth, recently received nominations for Adviser of the Year regarding her exceptional work with the local group of student council members. Fluth has been advising student council for eleven years.

On April 4 and 5, Tri-Valley’s student council representatives attended the state-wide student council convention in Sioux Falls. At the convention, Tri-Valley students were able to hear from guest speakers, elect state and regional officers, and meet with other student council members within their region.

“I enjoy being the student council adviser because I get to see a different side of students that I don’t usually get to see in the classroom. I also get to build a stronger relationship with the kids involved in student council,” stated Fluth.

After the convention, the student council members, along with advisers, are welcome to attend a dance in celebration of the newly elected officers. The students that attended the convention are: Aleah Burggraff (11), Abby Keith (11), Kristian Hillberg (11), Alec Blackford (11), Riley Hallman (11), Emily McDonald (10), Brock Newman (10), Logan Mathieu (10), Mia Miller (10), Tristen Ruesch (9), Baylee Beaner (9), and Grace Suttle (9). Tri-Valley’s student council is a part of the Big Sioux Region, along with Brookings, Dell Rapids St. Mary, Flandreau, Lennox, Sioux Falls O’Gorman, and Sioux Falls Roosevelt.

“During the year, the student council puts on Homecoming events, Veteran’s Day, the food drive, the blood drive, Valentine’s Day carnations, Winter Formal, Teacher Appreciation Day, and the activities in the activities calendar,” stated Fluth.

This year, three Tri-valley student council representatives were recognized at the state convention. Junior Aleah Burggraff won State Vice President for the region. In addition, junior Abby Keith won representative of the entire Big Sioux Region student council. Freshman Tristen Ruesch won the Vice Presidency of the student council region board. This is the first year Tri-Valley has won nominations of this many students. Junior Aleah Burggraff is excited to take on her new role as Vice President.

“When I joined student council as a freshman, I went to state and watched the state board lead the convention. Ever since then, I wanted to run for a position in student council. Last year, I ran for a region board position and became Vice President just to sort of work my way up, and then this year I ran for state secretary,” stated Burggraff. “Being on the state board is an amazing opportunity and still feels kind of unreal. I still can’t believe that a lot of people voted me into this position. I really want to try my hardest at being the best I can be and take advantage of this opportunity,” stated Burggraff.