TV Successful at State FFA Convention

Jena Farr

Kaitlyn Schmeichel, second from the left, along with other fellow FFA members from different school districts were elected to the 2016-2017 State FFA Officer Team. She went through 21 hours of behavioral type interview process. She now will serve and represent SD FFA by visiting chapters, planning leadership events, doing PR work and growing in her leadership skills.

The FFA State Convention was held in Brookings, South Dakota, at the South Dakota State University Campus. Twenty-three students from the high school took part in this FFA event held on April 9-12. Among those students, the Tri-Valley’s FFA adviser and agricultural teacher, Mrs. VanDerVliet, joined in the big event.

“I was fun to see my FFA members’ faces when they got called up on stage. It was was a memorable moment,” stated VanDerVliet.

The State FFA Convention is a large competition with around two thousand members. It also includes sessions that are held and members can receive awards. The Ag Mechanics team included senior Grant Burggraff, juniors Levi Burggraff and Carter Warne, and freshman Dylan Meyer received first place and they will also advance to Nationals. Among the Tri-Valley FFA members, senior FFA vice president Kaitlyn Schmeichel was elected to be part of the State Officer Team.

“The State Officer Team is a chance to share my love for FFA and agriculture. I get to lead and hopefully make an impact on their lives. It’s a way I can show my appreciation for the organization,” stated Schmeichel.

Schmeichel learned a lot about herself and her teammates while attending the State FFA Convention. She knows that this experience is going to be challenging but worthwhile. This is one of the biggest events she has ever experienced.

“This year’s FFA State Convention was an extraordinary experience. I got the chance to become close with my State Officer Team. For me, this year was a tremendous success,” stated Schmeichel.